Monday, May 18, 2009

Is it May Already?

Wow . Summer is almost here. So what have you been up to you may be asking?

WELLLLLLL.......Besides the gallbladder problems and the subsequent surgery I had back in march ( yeah, happy birthday to me, you had a gallbladder!) to remove the nasty organ, and the depression that followed.....( same thing last time I had surgery too...Hmmmmm...I see a pattern here....no more cutting...or drugs)..I have been trying to create things from my waste products.....NO not that waste, the waste from the packaging this family uses.

Like soda Cans, plastic bottles, ( shut up! I have to buy my water, the water here sucks and the cheap-o filter systems are just as bad....you gotta buy the cartridges talk about waste, I dont even know how to repurpose those things. I would love a burkey ( sp.) wanna buy me one? costs around 200.00 last time I looked.), video tape and plastic supermarket bags.

Now I know I posted about crocheting those pesky bags into bag,bags... but sometimes I forget to bring them and worse still my oldest and her husband still bring them home...they never use the re-useables...grrrrrrrrr.....I feel like the garbage gremlin, going around cleaning up their waste all the time.

So I am always trying to find creative and dare I say it lukrative outlets to upcycle.

My first attempt at a mobile.....



CAN ya see it better here?

Soda cans cut into tear drop shapes. I punched a hole in the top and bottom, used eyelets and strung them with 30 lb test line. The small glass beads are clear crystal chips that i PURCHASED at the craft store in the jewelry dept.I alternated long and short lines and then added the chip lines in between, in addition are 2 lines of faux bali beads.

I liked it but it looked too industrious. It was too heavy as well, didnt swing too well with a light breeze. Also it was not very frugal. Crimp beads and eyelets are expensive.


My next attempt............

My daughters fingers...LOL she is holding a dark background to help me get the shot...


Ok so I can't get a good shot. These are cut into hearts and hung on 8lb filament with blue dangles for added weight. The 8lb test however, is too light. So this keeps tangling...My next attempt is a heavier weight line which is in progress.

The 30 lbs test line I could not tie I had to use crimp beads b/c the line was too thick and heavy. The 8lb test I could tie and it stayed and I did not need to use eyelets either ( more money saved).


Next.....my trash can.

Pin It