Saturday, August 22, 2009

Quinoa Salad - My own Recipe.

So I am craving beans, especially bean salad which i never eat. I think my body is screaming out for protein, not just craving beans but peanut butter as well.
Anyway this recipe was a quick something But was in the works for over a week, that is rolling around my brain.

2 cups of raw black beans ( dont use canned they are too soggy)
2 cups of raw lentils
1 Large red onion cut in half and minced
4 cloves of garlic ( or to taste. I love garlic)
1 each -- green ,red, yellow, orange, bell peppper
Sliced mushrooms ( couple of handfuls or to taste) ( I used baby bellas)
1 can garbanzo beans drained ( chick peas)
1 packet of good seasons Garlic and herb salad mix ( and cruet to make it)
2 cups of Quinoa
1 Box of chicken broth
1 ham hock.
About 3 tablespoons of Olive oil. ( I eyeballed it)
2 tablespoons of butter
Salt and Pepper to taste. ( I prefer the taste of fresh ground Black pepper)

I started with 2 cups or so of black beans. I put them in a bottle in the refrigerator and covered with water for 2 days. ( one day woulda worked but I need to get the ham hock so it was an extra day). Drain off that water it was soaking in and add fresh water to pot.

I cooked them in a Large pot of boiling water ( I used my dutch oven pot that we use for pasta), with the ham hock. NO SALT

After an hour drain the water out and put in bowl to cool, Now add salt and pepper.

In a smaller pot I put about 2 cups of lentils covered with water and let them boil for about an hr. NO SALT.

After an hour or however long it takes for water to cook down ( I think it was about 50 minutes) drain the water out and put in bowl to cool, Now add salt and pepper.

In a large fry pan ( I used my deep fryer Pan) put about 3 tablespoons of olive oil ( I just eyed it) I cut up the red onion, and about 4 cloves of garlic. cook on high for a few minutes, to that I added the peppers, & mushrooms add the butter and Stir fry these for a few minutes, and add the box of broth ( measures out to 4 cups) and add 2 cups of quinoa Cover and let simmer down for about 20 - 30 minutes or so. I walked away and got on the phone..I almost forgot..OOPS. :-)

By now the beans should be cool (esp. if you put them in frig right away to cool) Let the quinoa cool ( about 30 minutes or so).

In a large bowl scoop out some quinoa mix and add several handfuls of each bean, and add one can of garbanzo beans (drained.)

In a cruet I made good seasons italian garlic and herb dressing. I mixed this to the salad
( Yes all of it)

Keep adding quinoa and beans to this until well balanced. YUM. Refrigerate over night and it is sooo good after it sets up.

Dont ask me calories or net carbs, I dont know . I do know that there is nothing bad in this. NO Flour, No Sugar, and it is mostly all Protein, as Quinoa is a perfect grain, It is a vegetarians essential for 100% protein. It contains all the amino acids.

Bon Appetite.


The quinoa seed is high in protein, calcium and iron, a relatively good source of vitamin E and several of the B vitamins. It contains an almost perfect balance of all eight essential amino acids needed for tissue development in humans. It is exceptionally high in lysine, cystine and methionine-amino acids typically low in other grains. It is a good complement for legumes, which are often low in methionine and cystine. The protein in quinoa is considered to be a complete protein due to the presence of all 8 essential amino acids.

Pin It